I just did the following for someone, so I thought I would share it. The
technique can be used for any command-line output; the number of output
lines displayed is a function of the height of your panel and your
selected font. Enjoy.

#!/bin/sh
# xfce4-hdate-plugin
#
# This one-line script illustrates a simple method for displaying the
# Hebrew date in an xfce4 panel, using the hdate command-line program,
# and the xfce4-genmon-plugin. Save this one-liner to some location,
# say ~/.local/bin/xfce4-hdate-plugin, mark it executable, add an
# instance of the 'generic monitor' plugin to your panel, and
# configure the plugin to point to this script. In the plugin's
# configuration, I needed to explicitly specify the absolute pathname
# to the executable, and found that it did not like pipes. The plugin
# configuration also allows one to set the refresh interval and font,
# for example 60 seconds and 'Liberation sans narrow condensed 12'

hdate -qSb | awk 'NR==2{$NF=""; $1=""; print $0}'

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0