There are 2 toolchain available in Ubuntu 16 :
 gcc-arm-linux-androideabi  and
 gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf

I  confess I do not understand which is correct one for ARMv7.1 level 10 when
compiling kernel

Clearly gcc-arm-linux-androideabi is built with Bionic libc so it must be used
to compile applications

When I tried to compile kernel 4.9 with this toolchain it terminated with error
specific for 4.9 and I patched Makefile.build
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9412009/

Then it works almost till the end

arm-linux-androideabi-ld: warning: unwinding may not work because EXIDX input
section 609 of net/built-in.o is not in EXIDX output section
arm-linux-androideabi-ld: error: missing CPU support

I compiled kernel using  gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf toolchain with no problem, but
device did not boot and was  stuck before shoeing even kernel uncompressing
line.

So I wonder perhaps I need to solve  androideabi  problem?

Regards,
Lev