On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 03:35:51PM +0100, Petr Machata wrote:

> Hangbin Liu <liuhang...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > +cleanup_ns()
> > +{
> > +   local ns=""
> > +   local errexit=0
> > +
> > +   # disable errexit temporary
> > +   if [[ $- =~ "e" ]]; then
> > +           errexit=1
> > +           set +e
> > +   fi
> > +
> > +   for ns in "$@"; do
> > +           ip netns delete "${ns}" &> /dev/null
> > +           busywait 2 "ip netns list | grep -vq $1" &> /dev/null
>
> The grep would get confused by substrings of other names.
> This should be grep -vq "^$ns$".

Thanks. I just thought the ns name would like foo-xxxxxxx, but I forgot this
is a common function, which maybe called with normal ns name.

> > +           if ip netns list | grep -q $1; then
>
> Busywait returns != 0 when the wait condition is not reached within a
> given time. So it should be possible to roll the duplicated if-grep into
> the busywait line like so:
>
>               if ! busywait 2 "ip netns etc."; then

You are right.

> > +                   echo "Failed to remove namespace $1"
> > +                   return $ksft_skip
>
> This does not restore the errexit.
>
> I think it might be clearest to have this function as a helper, say
> __cleanup_ns, and then have a wrapper that does the errexit management:
>
> cleanup_ns()
> {
>       local errexit
>       local rc
>
>       # disable errexit temporarily
>       if [[ $- =~ "e" ]]; then
>               errexit=1
>               set +e
>       fi
>
>       __cleanup_ns "$@"
>       rc=$?
>
>       [ $errexit -eq 1 ] && set -e
>       return $rc
> }
>
> If this comes up more often, we can have a helper like
> with_disabled_errexit or whatever, that does this management and
> dispatches to "$@", so cleanup_ns() would become:
>
> cleanup_ns()
> {
>       with_disabled_errexit __cleanup_ns "$@"
> }

Thanks for your suggestion.

> > +           fi
> > +   done
> > +
> > +   [ $errexit -eq 1 ] && set -e
> > +   return 0
> > +}
> > +
> > +# By default, remove all netns before EXIT.
> > +cleanup_all_ns()
> > +{
> > +   cleanup_ns $NS_LIST
> > +}
> > +trap cleanup_all_ns EXIT
>
> Hmm, OK, this is a showstopper for inclusion from forwarding/lib.sh,
> because basically all users of forwarding/lib.sh use the EXIT trap.
>
> I wonder if we need something like these push_cleanup / on_exit helpers:
>
>       https://github.com/pmachata/stuff/blob/master/ptp-test/lib.sh#L15

When I added this, I just want to make sure the netns are cleaned up if the
client script forgot. I think the client script trap function should
cover this one, no?

> But I don't want to force this on your already large patchset :)

Yes, Paolo also told me that this is too large. I will break it to
2 path set or merge some small patches together for next version.

> So just ignore the bit about including from forwarding/lib.sh.

> Actually I take this back. The cleanup should be invoked from where the
> init was called. I don't think the library should be auto-invoking it,
> the client scripts should. Whether through a trap or otherwise.

OK, also makes sense. I will remove this trap.

Thanks for all your comments.
Hangbin