On Mon 27-07-20 10:02:11, Jane Chu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7/25/2020 9:24 AM, Coly Li wrote:
> > It is not simple to make dax_supported() from struct dax_operations
> > or __generic_fsdax_supported() to return exact failure type right now.
> > So the simplest fix is to use pr_info() to print all the error messages
> > inside __generic_fsdax_supported(). Then users may find informative clue
> > from the kernel message at least.
>
> I happen to notice that some servers set their printk levels at 4 by default
> to minimize console messages:
> # cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
>  4   4   1  7
> So I'm wondering if you would consider pr_error() instead of pr_info() ?

I don't think this is a good reason to raise priority of this message -
with this logic applied, all info messages should be raised to error level
because someone may find them useful :). And then people raise printk
loglevel because the kernel is too noisy... Personally I think that
pr_info() is fine because there will be error message about unsupported dax
setup from the filesystem and if sysadmin wishes, (s)he can always lookup
info messages in dmesg.

                                                                Honza
--
Jan Kara <j...@suse.com>