Hi Neil,

Are you suggesting I do this?

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=10 --raid-devices=2 \
              --parity=f2 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

I just tried it and it appears dog slow - for example
hdparm -t /dev/md0 claims 18MB/s, and I see a similar
number in /proc/mdstat for resync speed.

Getting rid of the --parity=f2 parameter, the numbers
jump up to about 65MB/s which is similar to single drive
transfer rate.

Anyway, I haven't thoroughly benchmarked and I know hdparm
is not to be trusted, but so far it's not obvious to me level=10
beats level=1 for a two drive array. If you think it is worth
pursuing I will do so.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS. I care most about small (~5K) file read performance. Think
very busy webserver with hundreds of gigabytes of small files.
And an occasional medium size file of a few megabytes.