>Proposed solution is to use software raid mirror.  Before backup starts,
>break the soft mirror unmount and backup partition

I use this method for backup once a week.

One challenge is drives aren't great at steaming data quickly (for the resync)
while also doing a lot of random access. Having a little extra redundancy (think
3 or more drives in the RAID-1) can really help.

>If you can be certain that the device that you break out of the mirror
>is never altered, then you could add an internal bitmap while the
>array is split and the rebuild will go much faster.

Is this also a viable speedup for the "kep rotating backup drives through
the array" strategy? If so, how much speedup are we talking about? Assume
the array changes by 1% before a backup drive gets rotated in again.

Jeff