I just finished the transfer and it went great. Thanks for all
the advice. I went with the assemble-by-uuid approach in
/etc/mdadm.conf which did very well. Especially since drive
letters danced around quite a bit between reboots. One of the
disks died during transit, and the redundancy part of RAID
earned its keep. The only thing I didn't figure out was SATA
hotplug. The SATA controller (an Areca 1230 in JBOD mode)
happily noticed when a drive was hotplugged into a port. But
Linux didn't seem to notice. I was using cfdisk to probe.
Is there a particular command needed to convince Linux to
look around and see if there are any new SATA devices?

Jeff