I have done some more research and it seems that the chip used in this cable is a SiLabs CP2101. Not much information is available for that chip, the company claims to have drivers available for linux, but from what i have found in the documentation the drivers are in binary only form for redhat9. but the documentation is old so that may have changed. Also the drivers only seem to come with the CP2101 evalkit, which is priced at $49.99.

while it is much easier and cheaper for me to just buy the serial cable, i am willing to donate several of these eval kits to developers willing to work on the driver, updating it and working to incorporate it into the mainstream kernels. Provided of course that SiLabs is willing to release the drivers they currently have under the GPL.

I am not a kernel hacker, i am not even a programmer or i would attempt to do this myself. Is anybody here willing to go for this? please? i'll throw in a a twelve pack of good german beer and a large pizza for the first person(s) who get the driver to work under the 2.6 kernel :)

--
Munir Nassar

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on ITManagersJournal Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give us Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out more http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe, use the last form field at: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linux-usb-users