On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 10:56 -0700, Steve Calfee wrote:
> At 10:00 AM 8/18/2007, David Turvene wrote:
> >What are my hardware/software/configuration options for local comms
> >(primary ethernet network down) between my laptop with only USB ports to
> >a headless server with only USB ports?
> >
> >Dave
> You have several choices, none as simple as just rs232 serial.
>
> You can use two usb to rs232 adapters, one on each host, and
> communicate via rs232.
>
> You can get two usb to ethernet adapters and communicate via a mini
> network with a crossover ethernet cable.
>
> You can buy a single dongle that both hosts connect to (I think as a
> network - it just does option 2, with the connection internal to the
> dongle). I google'd "net-linq" I think it is supported by the linux usb stuff.
>
> Regards, Steve

Steve -

Thanks, the BAFO Net-linq BF-110N looks like what you're pointing
towards.  It's pretty old but still sold.

It looks like there are a lot of newer versions of this cable type,
mostly for the M$ Easy Connect transfer protocol.

It's just downright weird that with all the rack servers and all the
laptops/handhelds in the world replacing UARTs with USB, there isn't a
well-known, current solution to this problem.

But that's not an issue for this message board.  Thanks again.

Dave