On Sat, 19 Oct 2019, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got an USB3 SD card adapter (device info attached). Problem:
> Writing a (rather slow 133x) SD card via an USB3 slot I get I/O errors,
> see attached kern.log. If I use an USB2 slot, then there is no problem
> (not shown here).
>
> The I/O errors don't come up immediately, but after a few minutes
> writing time, so I wonder if this is a heat problem?
>
> Since modern PCs don't have USB2 slots anymore I would be highly
> interested in a workaround. Kernel is 5.3.6 built from the git
> repository.
>

> Every helpful hint is highly appreciated.

What happens if you don't use that rather slow 133x SD card?  Do other
cards work better?

Another possibility: If you attach the card adapter by a USB-2 cable
then it will run as a USB-2 device (even when plugged into a USB-3
port).  That probably would help -- although it would also slow down
the data transfers.  Although, come to think of it, slowing down the
transfer rate may be just what this card needs...