On 2016-10-08 23:07, Aidan Thornton wrote:
On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Johan Hovold <jo...@kernel.org> wrote:
Why is this change needed? I see no write to this register in the
vendor driver.

In principle, it might not be because the value written to register
0x18 is probably overwritten by ch341_init_set_baudrate anyway. It's
there because it's in Grigori's original patch, it looks superficially
reasonable (corresponds to ENABLE_RX|ENABLE_TX|CS8, as opposed to the
rather implausible ENABLE_TX|PAR_EVEN|CS5), and given that some
hardware revisions are apparently a little temperamental I was
reluctant to remove it without fully understanding why it was added in
the first place. As the vendor driver does without it might make sense
to delete the write altogether, but it does do quite a few things
differently from this driver. Depends what Grigori says and the
results of actual testing.

Yes, I think I introduced it for consistency. The whole init sequence is a bit strange and doesn't make too much sense, but I tried to avoid modifying it because I don't know how the different hardware revisions react to that. In theory it shouldn't make a difference as the chip is reinitialized later on, though.

By the way, I tested the series against my CH341A board and it works just fine, as expected.

Best regards
Grigori