Apologies if this ought to have gone to the USB maintainer (but his
auto-reply implies not).

I'm particularly interested in drivers/usb/core/config.c
which appears to enforce the USB specification by refusing to allow a
low speed CDC ACM.  (Comment "Some buggy low-speed devices ...", at
about line 300.)

However, such devices exist and some are potentially quite useful (such
as Arduinos & digistump).  Various people have posted about not being
able to use them with Linux and I think the above file is the reason
(another well known OS family allows them).

I'd like to ask if there's a sane (Linux) way to allow them or are you
open to one being created?

If so, as I don't know the best way then if you have any ideas I'd
certainly be pleased to hear them.  Some sort of quirk?

To make it easy for non-expert/novice Linux users to connect
non-conforming USB devices and have them "just work" please consider
a way that is either the default or easy, i.e. so they don't have to
config/build a kernel.

I am a bit surprised that the code does what it currently does, as it
basically makes such devices unusable so far as I can tell and may as
well just reject them entirely.

Thanks,

John