On 02/03/2017 12:00 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 02/02/2017 09:44 PM, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:

>>> This matches my knowledge as well.
>>
>> Having that, we would be limited to a list of fixed size
>> tuples IMHO.
>
> That sounds OK. Now I spent some time thinking about this I think it can
> work.
> First of all we may need something like #sources-cells to extend our
> property
> in the future.
> Secondly it should be possible to detect type of phandle node by trying
> things
> one by one. We should be e.g. able to check is phandle is for GPIO by
> trying
> of_find_gpiochip_by_xlate.

>>> I'm OK with reworking Linux's triggers if it need be. I think we should
>>> agree
>>> on binding(s) first though.
>>
>> I was thinking of creating entirely new mechanism (new sysfs file),
>> as we can't break existing users.
>
> Agree.

>>> That was exactly my point with above trigger-sources example including 2
>>> USB
>>> ports & GPIO.
>>
>> How usbport trigger would make use use of information about GPIO?
>> Does it mean that in this approach triggers would arbitrarily choose
>> trigger-sources applicable for them?
>
> It wouldn't. It would simply ignore it.
>
> We could modify ledtrig-gpio.c however to support this new property
> (ex-"led-triggers") and make use of specified GPIO(s). Of course
> ledtrig-gpio
> would ignore specified USB ports. One type per LED trigger driver.

Frankly speaking I don't like this too much. It would be hard
to infer from the bindings which trigger sources will be used by which
trigger.

I'd like to propose something different, i.e. trigger specific
trigger-sources property, but defined in a separate DT node
for each LED trigger:

led1-usbport-trig: usbport-trig {
        trigger-type = "usbport";
        trigger-sources = <&usb-port1>, <&usb-port2>, <usb-port3>;
        led-dev = <&led1>;
};

led1-compound-gpio-trig: compound-gpio-trig {
        trigger-type = "oneshot";
        trigger-sources = <&gpio1>, <&gpio2>, <&gpio3>;
        led-dev = <&led1>;
};

led1: led1 {
        compound-triggers = <&led1-usbport-trig>. <&led1-compound-gpio-trig>;
}

This way when applying usbport trigger to led1, we would know how
to configure it for this particular LED. If we had led2, we could
define different subset of usb ports to trigger it. In case of
hypothetical compound-gpio trigger, the driver would know
which gpios should generate LED events.

This is a freshly devised idea, just a subject for a discussion.

Best regards,
Jacek Anaszewski

>>> That would simplify things, but it gets us back to *multiple* properties
>>> like
>>> led-usb-triggers (or led-usb-trigger-sources)
>>> led-pci-triggers (or led-pci-trigger-sources)
>>> led-gpio-triggers (or led-gpio-trigger-sources)