On Wed, 15 May 2024 11:50:52 +0200,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On 15. 05. 24 11:17, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi Jaroslav,

> >> I was thinking more about this. If I am right, the mentioned use in
> >> gstreamer
> >> is supposed to run the conversion (DSP) job in "one shot" (can be handled
> >> using one system call like blocking ioctl).  The goal is just to offload
> >> the
> >> CPU work to the DSP (co-processor). If there are no requirements for the
> >> queuing, we can implement this ioctl in the compress ALSA API easily using
> >> the
> >> data management through the dma-buf API. We can eventually define a new
> >> direction (enum snd_compr_direction) like SND_COMPRESS_CONVERT or so to
> >> allow
> >> handle this new data scheme. The API may be extended later on real demand,
> >> of
> >> course.
> >>
> >> Otherwise all pieces are already in the current ALSA compress API
> >> (capabilities, params, enumeration). The realtime controls may be created
> >> using ALSA control API.
> >
> > So does this mean that Shengjiu should attempt to use this ALSA approach
> > first?
>
> I've not seen any argument to use v4l2 mem2mem buffer scheme for this
> data conversion forcefully. It looks like a simple job and ALSA APIs
> may be extended for this simple purpose.
>
> Shengjiu, what are your requirements for gstreamer support? Would be a
> new blocking ioctl enough for the initial support in the compress ALSA
> API?

If it works with compress API, it'd be great, yeah.
So, your idea is to open compress-offload devices for read and write,
then and let them convert a la batch jobs without timing control?

For full-duplex usages, we might need some more extensions, so that
both read and write parameters can be synchronized.  (So far the
compress stream is a unidirectional, and the runtime buffer for a
single stream.)

And the buffer management is based on the fixed size fragments.  I
hope this doesn't matter much for the intended operation?

thanks,

Takashi