I have a similar situation and I solved it with limiters.  I'm also a fan of
limiters to ensure fair sharing of uplink bandwidth by internal users.  I
haven't tried changing system tunables though, so that solution may be better.

Nothing is sent through the limiter until you create a rule that catches the
traffic and routes it through the limiter, so you're not going to accidentally
slow everything down just by creating a rule.

The behavior you're speaking of sounds like your machine is getting maxed out
by interrupts or some internal bandwidth.  Setting up a limiter sounds like a
better solution than pushing the hardware to the point of unrefined behavior.

        ED.