Dear list,

the documentation reads that traffic shaping requires to know the total
bandwidth of a link. In my case I'm on an LTE link because I live on the
countryside. Sometimes the link delivers 5 Mbps - on good days I get 20
Mbps.

Is there a way to use traffic shaping by prioritizing traffic? I would
like to tune down bulk traffic (e.g. huge game updates that my kids do
via Steam). My idea is to say: "if the link is saturated (queue piling
up) then set certain priorities for LAN IP addresses and/or services".
My router is located behind my ISPs router.

Currently I'm using a pipe of 10 Mbps. But either that doesn't shape
anything if the link goes below 10 Mbps. Or I'm wasting bandwidth
because I can't go above 10 Mbps.

I fear the worst. :) Thanks for your input anyway.

…Christoph