On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:19:38AM +0200, chrysn wrote:
> this looks like a warning that is perfectly ok but does not do any harm
> and occurs because when no global locale is set, /etc/default/locale is
> not even created.

That was fixed in #515099.

> program (libpam-modules, i guess, for complaining about a file missing
> that can legally be absent) or locales (for not creating a file other
> packages rely on)

The existence of /etc/default/locale is not guaranteed, as locales is
not an essential package.

I don't think any package can readily be blamed for this.  pam_env is
rightfully complaining about being unable to read a file that was
explicitly requested.  And while login/ssh/etc. will support
/etc/default/locale, they'll never pull locales as a dependency.

So, unless pam_env grows a envfile_optional option, or someone comes up
with some wicked magic to edit /etc/pam.d/* in the presence/absence of
locales, I think we'll have to filter out this message.

--
<Overfiend> Joy: Hey, I'm an asshole.  Assholes emit odious gas.
            That's what we do.