On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 12:24:54AM -0400, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote:
> One thing that Hannes mentioned was in response to commits 5f7da05[1]
> and cf5e9d3[2] which I made to address bug #590559[3].  As he mentioned
> in his email, webmin was removed from the Debian archive over five years
> ago[4].  He Cc:'d madduck asking what the policy is for rules for
> packages that have been removed from Debian.  My personal thought was
> that since they were still there, they might as well be updated.  For
> clarification and future reference, I am interested in knowing what the
> policy is as well.

As far as I know there is no policy for that.

The problem with keeping rules of obsolete packages or package versions
is that each (obsolete) rule slows down logcheck (at least as long as #602494
has not been fixed). Additionally it implies more work for the maintainers.

Furthermore there are some criteria in the SUBMITTING RULES section of
README.logcheck-database.gz:

    Unfortunately, we don't have the time to add and update rules for
    everything, therefore the following exceptions apply:

    *  Debug messages
    *  Messages produced by software not included in Debian
    *  Temporary messages which are due to a bug in the package
    *  Messages related to daemon startups and shutdowns

    Please do not file bugs related to these messages.

Following point two the webmin rule should be deleted.

Maybe we can work out a policy about which rules should be included in
logcheck-database and which not?

> Regarding commit 6a4bf69[5] to close bug #616616[6], I updated a rule to
> reflect an upstream change in the log message.  In this case, the "old"
> rule was for a (Postfix) package version that is no longer supported in
> Debian, so it was removed and the new rule added.  In cases where this
> occurs and the "old" version is still supported, I assume the right
> thing to do would be to add the new rule and keep the old one as well
> (until the package version is no longer supported).  Please correct me
> if that is wrong.

In my opinion we should keep the rules as long as the package version is
supported in oldstable.

> Currently, I am trying to figure out the proper thing to do with regard
> to bug #621373[7].  This is a request for two rules related to log
> messages generated by avahi-daemon.  As of now, there are no rules in
> logcheck-database for Avahi.  Is there some process for deciding if it
> is appropriate to add them or do we just go ahead (which seems like the
> logical decision to me).  Assuming this is correct, it should only be a
> matter of creating the avahi-daemon file and adding the two rules I have
> created (slightly modified from the original bug report).

For the first rule please see my answer to your "Ho do you decide?"
question below.

For the second rule you might consider to adjust the rule in
i.d.p/logcheck to be more generic.

> Related to that, can I assume that the proper file to create would be
> i.d.s/avahi-daemon instead of i.d.w/avahi-daemon?  Avahi is often
> present on both servers and workstations so it would seem appropriate to
> put it under i.d.s since those rules will get applied when REPORTLEVEL
> is set to "workstation" as well as "server".

Using avahi-daemon on a server is unusual, so I would tend to put the
rules to i.d.w/avahi-daeomn.

> My next question is how is it decided whether or not to add, delete, or
> update (whatever the case may be) rules in response to a request/bug
> report?  I have read some bug reports (e.g. #564063[8]) where the
> correct decision is not obvious.  Do we add the rules or not?  How do
> you decide?

In my opinion logcheck should filter only such messages which are
informational and aren't caused by an error. In other words messages
which could require any reaction by the administrator (eg adding local
rules or fix the causing issue) should not be filtered by default.  I
close only such bugs for packages which I know, so I can estimate if the
message is only informational.

> Bug #617232[9] mentions rules which match on IPv4 addresses but will not
> match IPv6 addresses.  Should we begin updating rules so that both IPv4
> and IPv6 addresses will be matched?  Is there a preferred methodology
> for doing this, or is it okay to simply start working on it now?

Before replacing the patterns randomly, #174331 should be fixed.

> On a side note, is it appropriate to add my own name to the list on the
> main logcheck page[10]?  Maybe it's a little narcisstic, but I like
> seeing my own name.  :)

You contribute to logcheck, so I think it is reasonable to add yourself to the
list of active developers.

Greetings

Hannes