"Philip A. Roa" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been wrestling these past few days with Derek Dresser's solution on utmp/wtmp
>logging. It's a great way
> in recording historical access to the LTSP server (Thanks Jim for putting it on the
>LTSP site). However, i can't
> seem to let 'who' to work properly so as the number of users currently logged-in is
>determined and displayed.
>
> I noticed too that only the last user who has logged in is recognized as current
>(displayed by 'who').  The rest
> who haven't logged-out yet seem to disappear from the currently logged-in users.

Phil,

I changed two files to fix this.  With these changes, if you are using
GDM, `who` will look like this:
# who
david    ws05:0 Mar  1 20:18 (ws05)
beth     ws02:0 Mar  1 12:08 (ws02)

Here are the changes:
Put this in /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default:
#!/bin/sh
if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/sessreg ]; then
        HOST=`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f1 -d: | cut -d\. -f1`
        Display=:`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f2 -d:`
        /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -l
$HOST$Display -h $HOST $USER
fi

Put this in /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/Default:
#!/bin/sh
if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/sessreg ]; then
        HOST=`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f1 -d: | cut -d\. -f1`
        Display=:`echo $DISPLAY | cut -f2 -d:`
        /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -d -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -l
$HOST$Display -h $HOST $USER
fi

-David