Hi,

I've started the "Cleaning up the menu entries" issue
and according to the wishes/comments/explanations in the
thread I have composed a new menu layout.

Where entries have changed (name and/or action) I've
added additional comments. All others just do what
they used to do.

| File | Edit | Insert | Layout | View | Navigate | Documents | Help |

File->New // Collapse New and New_from_template.
          // Use "invalid" filename; when saved, call 'Save as...' automatically.
          // Should a window popup ask for Template/Class or assume a default for
that?
      Open // Collapse Open and Import. Open according to file extension:
           // .lyx, .tex, .txt, .nw, .doc are opened as you expect.
           // Does ASCII (*.txt) input need a Lines/Paragraph popup?
      Close
      ---
      Save
      Save as
      Revert to saved
      Version Control->...
      ---
      Export->...
      Fax   // This seems always to be greyed out ?!?!
      Print
      ---
      Exit
      ---
      [ list of previously ]
      [ opened documents   ]

Edit->Undo
      Redo
      ----
      Cut
      Copy
      Paste
      Find & Replace
      ---
      Paste external selection as text       // 'external' makes more sense to me!
      Paste external selection as paragraphs // Are these entries just temporary,
until
                                             // Paste has the full X-Window
capabilities?
      ---
      Floats & Insets->...
      Table->...  // Pops up the list of table-layout-functions (plus an "open-table-
                  // layout-window entry ?) when inside a table, otherwise greyed out
      Spell checker
      Check TeX
      ---
      Preferences // All "Options" entries could eventually merge into one
                  // popup window here, in a similar layout as the current
                  // "Options->Preferences"

Insert->Figure
        Table
        Floats->...
        ---
        Math mode
        Math display
        Math panel
        ---
        Footnote
        Marginal note
        Note
        ---
        Label
        Cross reference
        Citation reference
        Index entry
        Index of last word
        URL
        ---
        Special character->...
        Lists & TOC->...
        ---
        File              // -\
        ASCII file->...   //   | Can some entries collapse here?
        Lyx file          //   | (File + ASCII file for example)
        External material // -/

Layout->Character
        Paragraph
        Document