OK, I have finally commited my work from this week end. A few random notes:

- Toolbar and menubar are in frontends, with implementation in
  frontends/xforms. The external interface is GUI-indep. There may be
  a way to use signals between the interface and the private
  implementation, but I do not know how.

- To see the new menubar at work, define NEW_MENUBAR in LyXView.C and
  recompile.

- most of the menus work, except for Edit->Float, Edit->Table and a
  few others for which I do not have lyxfuncs. I did not port Dekel's
  TOC menu code either (Dekel, could you have a look in
  frontends/xforms/Menubar_pimpl.C and see if you can do it?).

- the menus and toolbar are defined in lib/ui/default.ui (actually the
  name can be changed via lyxrc.ui_file). The toolbar is as before but
  with different tokens (why the hell do we need the backslashes?).
  For the menus... well, take a look and ask me if it is not clear.

- There are still a couple of drawing problems. In particular, in some
  situations, the shortcuts disappear from the menu bar unless you
  move the mouse over it.

- The shortcuts in menus are not aligned correctly. I have to look in
  xforms code to see how it handles \t.