Jean-Marc Lasgouttes schrieb:

OK, consider the following file created today's trunk (a theorem with
8 empty paragraphs in the middle). LyX should not allow to create this
(especially since it does not make anything on DVI output).

OK, now I see what you mean. So the correct solution would be to allow the first line of environments to be empty without \mbox etc., which are "hacks" from the point of the users, but not for the following environment lines.
For now I'll revert my patch.

To word it differently, I understand that doing that is important to
some people, but I really do not like it.

It doesn't matter that you and also me don't like it, we have to follow LaTeX.

[*] actually, now that I think of it, my main problem with theorem and
    enumerations in LaTeX have always been that I had to force
    manually a return.
But don't need to do this. What exactly do you mean?

I always do in such cases
  \begin{thm}\mbox{}
  \begin{itemize}
  \item ...
  \end{itemize}
to force a break before the first bullet.

For this special case, my patch allows you to save the \mbox, so this is an
advantage.

regards Uwe