I knew there was a rational explanation somewhere. THIS makes sense.

Use N_() when the string is in a different function from the one which calls
fl_set_object_label(obj, _(str)), otherwise just use _() direct.

Got it. Many thanks, Dekel, Lars, JMarc. The penny, centime, agora, kroner
has finally dropped