On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 04:31:06PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> I get the following on my terminal when I open the file with LyX 2.1dev:
>
> unusual contents found: [xymatrix [grid [row [cell [char A
> mathalpha][macro ar][char [ mathalpha][char d mathalpha][char ]
> mathalpha][macro ar][char [ mathalpha][char r mathalpha][char ]
> mathalpha][char   mathalpha]][cell [char   mathalpha][char B
> mathalpha][macro ar][char [ mathalpha][char d mathalpha][char ]
> mathalpha][macro ar][char @ mathalpha][block [char - mathalpha][char -
> mathalpha][char > mathalpha]][char [ mathalpha][char d mathalpha][char
> l mathalpha][char ] mathalpha][char   mathalpha]]][row [cell [char C
> mathalpha][macro ar][char @ mathalpha][block [sub [par][char (
> mathalpha]][char - mathalpha][char > mathalpha]][char [
> mathalpha][char r mathalpha][char ] mathalpha][char   mathalpha]][cell
> [char   mathalpha][char D mathalpha][macro ar][char @ mathalpha][char
> / mathalpha][sub [par][char 1 mathalpha][char p mathalpha][char c
> mathalpha]][char / mathalpha][char [ mathalpha][char u mathalpha][char
> ] mathalpha][char   mathalpha]]]]]
>
> Any idea how to fix?

This is because the first xymatrix is inside a hullNone math hull. This
kind of math hull is intended for environments that would also work
outside of math mode. Inside a hullNone you're neither in text nor in math
mode (mode is undecided) and it is the responsibility of the environment
properly interpreting math constructs. For example, the environment could
interpret x^2 differently from a squared x (even if it is still represented
as a squared x in lyx). There are some differences in the way a hullNone is
represented in lyx with respect to a normal math hull. For example, a roman
(not italicized) font is used. I don't know whether there's any advantage
with respect to a normal math hull. The big difference is that a hullNone
is translated to latex without any math container, such that math
constructs would cause errors if the environment does not deal with them.
I think that lyx issues that warning to make you aware of this strange
environment, even if the screen representation would already be informative.

If the warning bothers you, simply put the cursor inside the hullNone and
issue the command "math-mutate simple" form the minibuffer. To return to
a hullNone you simply do "math-mutate none".

--
Enrico