Matej Cepl wrote:

> On 27 Aug 00, at 17:55, German Poo Caaman~o wrote:
>
> > thomas schönhoff wrote:
> > > I desperately trying to insert endnotes in my
> > > document, doing it like this:
>
> Just a question (not only to you, but rather to more general public
> on the list :-):
>
> What are the endnotes for in the first place? I am certain that there
> must be a reason for them, but it is very unclear to me -- I always
> hate when I have to browse repeatedly through a book just to read
> what could be easily placed (in the time of DTP or even LaTeX) in
> the bottom of the page, where it could be read instantly without any
> fuss.

endnotes have a historical background. the first books
had no foot- or endnotes. with the upcoming of the science
of arts and humanities, books became an appendix and
endnotes, no footnotes. footnotes came up later with books
of nature science.
so there is no real sense for foot- and/or endnotes.
some people hate notes anyway, they want to read the book
and not searching for notes. others want to read the text
and don't want to know to whom the citation belongs, so
they prefer endnotes. and others want to know the meaning
of some abbreviations and they like it, when this is explained
on the same page.

> I am certain, that I must be wrong in my hate of endnotes
> (especially, the ones in the end of chapter -- these are the worst)
> when all those page-designers knowing much better than myself
> their job (I have just downloaded package kluwer from Kluwer
> Academic Publishers, which expressly forbids using footnotes at all --
>  everything should into endnotes), but I am totally confused,
> because I cannot see any clever reason for such policy.

i think it's a bad habit, when the footnotes are sometimes
a book in a book. so a compromise between text and and a
few footnotes is the best way, but this is only my point of
view.

Herbert