Philipp Vetter wrote:

>  My question is: how can I change the paperfontsize to 9 pt?
>  Lyx only seems to give me the options default, 10,11 or 12 pt.
> I am writing a two-column document, for which the smaller font size would
> be very useful
>
> [I tried changing /paperfontsize in my Lyx document manually, but that
> doesn't work]

it's a little bit difficult to change the document-font to other
than 10,11,12

therefore i use my own ext-classes, which have an option for

8-9-14-17-20pt

they are always the same to the other classes, only with
prefix ext:
extarticle, extbook, extreport, extletter

you need package extsizes were this classes are defined. in
~/.lyx/layouts you only have to copy the correspondig layouts
e.g. for article:

article.layout -> extarticle.layout

now change the second line in extarticle.layout to
#  \DeclareLaTeXClass{extarticle}

insert the three lines:
ClassOptions
  FontSize              8|9|14|17|20
end

and now do a ./configure from ~./lyx or from within lyx a
reconfigure. now you can choose layout->document->extarticle
with the fontsize-options.

let me know, if you want this layouts by mail.

Herbert