On 3/16/24 13:33, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, Paul Rubin wrote:

I trust you are leaving LyX open while you look for the temp directory. If
you go to Tools > Preferences... > Paths, what do you have filled in for
"Temporary directory:"?

Paul,

/tmp, and that's where I've found LyX_tempbuf* before.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich,

In order to try to compile the doc, LyX has to write a .tex file someplace, and that someplace has to be the "tempbuf" directory. As long as you don't close LyX (and barring a rift in the space-time continuum), that buffer directory and its contents should stay put.

To see a bit more about what's going on, try running "lyx -dbg files" in a terminal. It will tell you where it's parking things and what names it's giving them. I tried this with one of your mwe.lyx files and encountered something surprising.  The file loaded into LyX without any major complaints. (There was a message "Bibinfo cache was invalid", which probably does not amount to anything.) When I tried to compile it, I got an export error message related to the infamous 0xfffc character. The TeX file (mwe.tex) was written to the buffer directory, but there was no LaTeX log file because LyX never reached the point of running pdflatex (or whatever), since the export was flagged as incorrect. Clicking "View Complete Log..." in the error message pane caused LyX to calculate a name and location for the log file but not to create one (because, again, it didn't compile the file, hence no log). Changing the document encoding to "Unicode (utf8)" and compiling produced a log file and a bunch of auxiliary files in the buffer directory.

So not finding a log file is probably due to the export error blocking compilation. Not find the buffer directory is likely due to interference by extraterrestrials.

Paul