On 28.08.2008, at 21:02, Graham Smith wrote:

OK, this seems to be linked to my newness with the Mac.

I have now managed to find where the the package should go, but I don't seem to have permissions to add a folder and copy the the package into it.

I shall have a search for Mac help.

Hi Graham,

If you have at least very basic knowledge about how to use a UNIX command prompt this shouldn't be that difficult:

Open a Terminal window and type the following:

sudo -i
mkdir /path/to/latex/installation/pgfplot
cp -R /source/of/pgfplot/* /path/to/latex/installation/pgfplot

Depending on your LaTeX-Installation you might have to copy certain parts of the pgfplot-source to different target directories.

Actually, my immediate confusion is where it should go

The pgfplot instructions suggests texmf/tex/generic/pgfplots

But the mactex instructions additions should go into

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

But equally, the Mactex instructions also seem to suggest it should go into

$HOME/Library/texmf

I have put the downloaded pgfplots folder into each of these locations, but get the same error about not being able to find pgfplots.sty

The Mactex instructions also suggest that you don't need to run texhash, but other advice on thsi forum suggest that you do need to run texhash, which I have done, but get a list of errors.

texhash: /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf: directory not writable.
Skipping...
texhash: /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config: directory not writable.
Skipping...
texhash: /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist: directory not writable.
Skipping...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

So I'm confused about where the pgfplot folder should be installed, along with the other issues.

I do however, think I understand your commands, just don't know how to fill in the path.

Graham

Well the answer would seem to be the need to use sudo texhash and not just texhash

Graham