Wow, ok, I hadn't considered that someone had replaced the main rom.
All bets are off in that case.

I would not be surprised if the modem doesn't work at all with the wrong rom installed. The main rom has to match the hardware and the North American main rom does not match the European hardware, and the modem is definitely one of the things, like the keyboard, which is different between countries.

You only do something hacky like that fully accepting that you are breaking some things in order to get some other things. But you didn't make that choice, you're stuck with something someone else did and then sold to you.

I would definitely start with putting the unit back to stock condition, meaning put an EU main rom back in and remove the rex#, just as a first diagnostic step just to establish a baseline even if you want to go back to the hacked-up condition later.

Did the seller at least supply the original rom with the unit? If not, it might be taped inside.

I don't know of any copies of the EU rom for download. Asking here or on two facebook groups is probably your best chance to find one.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Model.T.Computers

This one in particular has a lot fewer, but mostly European members:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/olivettim10

I think it can be dumped out the serial port with a BASIC program, so anyone should be able to dump it for you without having to desolder the chip or use an eprom burner. I'll try to find the basic program for dumping the rom out the serial port, that way you can make it as easy as possible for someone to do the favor by having some directions ready to go.

If the REX# really is incompatible with the EU main rom, and Steve can't produce an EU version of the REX# firmware, then you'll probably just have to choose one or the other for that unit, either have the hardware all work properly, or have REX# on that unit.