> Dnia  9.02.2024 o godz. 13:03:28 Philip Paeps via mailop pisze:
> >
> > Most people don't actually use email anymore.  Email is for
> > marketing and receipts.
>
> Yeah, that's probably the main reason why they can live with such
> problematic service like Gmail.

        I've encountered more problems with Microsoft's systems than with
GMail's, although I do agree that GMail is far from perfect.  I don't
recall any delivery problems to Yahoo's systems for any of our users.

> I have heard numerous times from Gmail users that they "just didn't get the
> email from someone" and they treat it as something normal, that the email
> just got lost somewhere. In such cases they try to arrange the communication
> some other way, eg. using Facebook Messenger or any other similar tool. They
> don't have the attitude (which I am very committed to) that email is
> something very basic that just "has to work", and if a message gets lost
> somewhere, it's at least a case that needs investigating, and not just
> taking it for granted.

        Some eMail systems accept-and-delete [at least some] messages
instead of rejecting with a 5yz code, which tends to result in users
incorrectly blaming the sender, especially (it seems) when the
receiving system that they're relying on doesn't provide any
technical support (e.g., because it's a free service).

> But sadly it's not a common attitude nowadays.

        I agree, and I suspect a major part of the problem is that many
users have come to expect unreliability from their Operating Systems,
and so that attitude ends up extending (quite unfairly in many cases)
to other technologies ... such as eMail.

        Users get comfortable with other things too, such as accepting an
endless barrage of security warnings just because there are so many
of them in some environments.  Most users are non-technical, so
there's a tendancy to develop coping habits instead of considering
warnings with a critical eye, and I find it hard to blame users for
this because they just want/need to be productive without having to
decipher warnings filled with computer-industry jargon and require a
lot of extra work on their part to parse-and-understand.

--
Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson, CNA - rand...@inter-corporate.com