Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our recent publication in the journal Marine
Pollution Bulletin:

Ortega-Borchardt, J.A., Ramirez-Alvarez, N., Rios Mendoza, L.M.,
Gallo-Reynoso, J.P., Barba-Acuna, I.D., Garcia-Hernandez, J.,
Egido-Villarreal, J., Kubenik, T. (2023) Detection of microplastic
particles in scats from different colonies of California sea lions
(Zalophus californianus) in the Gulf of California, Mexico: A preliminary
study. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2022.114433

Abstract:

Microplastics (MPs, < 5 mm in size) are highly bioavailable to many taxa
within the marine ecosystem, either ingested directly or indirectly through
trophic transfer from polluted prey. The ingestion analysis of these MPs
from top predators, such as pinnipeds in Mexico, is relatively unexplored.
Forty-eight scats from California sea lions were collected on six rookeries
along the Gulf of California. From these scat samples, 294 suspected MPs
particles were classified and chemically analyzed; 34% were synthetic and
semi-synthetic, and 66% were non-synthetic. Blue-colored polyethylene
terephthalate fibers were the most common type of MP registered. During
laboratory work, multiple contamination control measures were implemented.
Although the ingestion pathway is still unknown, our results support the
other authors that suggest the potential trophic transfer of MPs to top
predators and incidental ingestion while foraging. The particles documented
here provide important baseline information for future MP research in the
Gulf of California.

Elsevier is kindly giving free access to our article to anyone clicking on
this link before January 27, 2023:
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1gDEB,asi2GiM

All the best,

M.C. Jose Angel Ortega Borchardt