Michael - We'll never know if a two-state solution could have been achieved
in Palestine/Israel, but now with 700,000 religious fanatic settlers
allowed to illegally be in the West Bank, the only way they can be removed
would be by the Israeli military, which isn't going to happen.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:12 PM Michael Meeropol via groups.io <mameerop=
gmail....@groups.io> wrote:

> RE:  A single democratic state in Palestine ...
>
> Here's a problem I have had ever since many people have (perhaps rightly
> --- I am relatively ignorant) concluded that a two-state solution is
> impossible....
>
> Can different "groups" however identified --- either racially as in the US
> --- European-American and various Peoples of Color --- ethnically as in
> French vs. English Canada --- etc. --- can there truly be a fully
> democratic system where these two groups live together without one group
> completely dominating the other?
>
> I mean is Switzerland an example where that happens?  Has post-Apartheid
> South Africa proven that it is possible?
>
> After all the murder and mayhem between Israeli Jews and Palestinian
> Christians and Muslims can they come together in a democratic secular state?
>
> Despite the partition of India and Pakistan, I knew many Indians who have
> told me that INDIA at least is a secular state where Muslims have full
> citizenship rights --- has that REALLY been true with Modi CHANGING things
> or has Modi just made explict what has always been implicit?
>
> I am REALLY asking the "nationality" question ----
>
> Even if a two-state solution is unfair and unjust --- isn't it likely that
> a single democratic state is completely impossible --- that NEITHER group
> will accept it no matter what the "law" says ---
>
> Post 1960s US was supposed to finally put second-class citizenship for
> African Americans behind us --- but blacks continue to be killing by cops
> disproportionately and voter suppression is alive and well --- ALMOST 60
> years after the Voting RIghts Act was passed.
>
> I am not asking this as rhetoric ---- I really do wonder if the fires of
> "nationalism" really interfere with people living together in peace in true
> democracy ....
>
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 11:56 AM Dennis Brasky via groups.io <dmozart1756=
> gmail....@groups.io> wrote:
>
>> The Two-State solution mantra has allowed policymakers to avoid
>> confronting the reality that partition is unattainable in the case of
>> Israel and Palestine, and illegitimate as an arrangement originally imposed
>> on Palestinians without their consent.
>>

>> https://portside.org/2024-04-21/two-state-solution-unjust-impossible-fantasy
>>

>> _._

View/Reply Online (#30041): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/30041
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io