Sorry for the empty mail before this, dont know what happened. Mail text _now_ attached.
-----

Dear MediaWiki community,

I'm trying to install a MediaWiki instance. Although I never worked with MediaWiki before, I feel quite comfortable with server issues (*nix) and PHP.

I'd like to have mail support in the MW instance. Unfortunately I cannot rely on sendmail (or even mini_sendmail) binary in my installation for several reasons - both requiring a shell binary. It seems, it's possible to replace original PHP's mail() command by an alternate mailer program.

a) Is includes/UserMailer.php the main and only spot where mail functionality code can be spotted? b) I read about hooks in mailer class code (line 288 of https://doc.wikimedia.org/mediawiki-core/master/php/html/UserMailer_8php_source.html): $ret = wfRunHooks( 'AlternateUserMailer', array( $headers, $to, $from, $subject, $body ) );
Is this hook meant to replace the original mail program?
c) Did anyone replace original mailing code by PHPMailer yet?
d) Or is it easier to just use PEAR::Mail instead of PHPMailer (there seemed to be some code about PEAR in it)?

Thank you for reading,
Matthias