Maybe this is something that the MediaWiki release team at MyM [1] should look at. I guess there is no productive MediaWiki site that does not use at least one extension, so it might be sensible to support this as a more essential aspect of the MW develpoment ecosystem and even release management.

Cheers,

Markus

[1] http://wikireleaseteam.org/