Honestly, I would deal with this above MediaWiki, because otherwise
you will end up with maintenance work going forward, in addition to
possibly having to repeat this for other business areas going forward.

Easiest way is to get them into a central AD, Domain Trusts will
probably be the easiest way for the orgs that already have AD in place
and for the the organisations that are currently not using AD, I would
recommend just setting one up for them (whether it is completely
separate to your existing one, a tree/forest of your current org, or
just in your current organisational AD).

That way you don't create a larger maintenance burden in your
MediaWiki installation.