Pretty strange, since the error in question literally checks
"$wgBaseDirectory !== MW_INSTALL_PATH".  Maybe there's something weird
going on because of the order in which the files are initialized.

What does it output if you add debugging checks for $wgBaseDirectory and
MW_INSTALL_PATH after line 235 in Setup.php?