I think mmj2 only ever uses wceq, because it "parses" formulas and using
weq introduces an ambiguity into the resulting grammar. However
metamath-exe's MINIMIZE will find shorter proofs using lemmas, and it
treats syntax lemmas just like real lemmas, so it will "optimize" the proof
to use weq. I think you shouldn't worry much about whether you produce one
vs another, IMO having syntax lemmas was a mistake.