> 1. In https://us.metamath.org/mpeuni/mmset.html#trivia, it is stated that
"A longest path back to an axiom from 2 + 2 = 4 is *184 layers* deep".
However, if I run show trace_back 2p2e4 /count_steps, it is stated that
"The maximum path length is 84". Is there a typo somewhere? (84 != 184).

Note that that statistic is one of those that will go out of date quickly
due to changes in the library structure. So you should not expect it to be
exact, unless we have an automated mechanism for keeping it up to date, and
we don't currently. However, there is one major change between when that
text was written and now which significantly decreased most of the numbers
quoted, which is the isolation of the real numbers from their construction.
2+2 = 4 is a theorem very close to the axioms of real numbers, so it was
reduced from something depending on the entire stack of set theory and the
construction, down to just a few direct axiom applications (plus still a
bunch of set theory because of the use of df-ov "operation value" for
expressing the + function, defined in the set theory section).

In order to get something closer to the "true" original numbers, you should
replace "ax-mulcom $a ... $." with ax-mulcom $p ... $= <apply axmulcom> $.
and similarly for all the other axioms in the same section. This will allow
metamath-exe to see that uses of these axioms actually depend on a big
stack of other lemmas when calculating statistics like max depth and
full-expansion theorem counts.

> 2. If I run show trace_back 2p2e4 /count_steps, it is stated that " a
total of 619 different subtheorems are used.  The statement and subtheorems
have a total of 12178 actual steps (...) The proof would have 5887862241803
=~ 5.9 x 10^12 steps if fully expanded back to axiom references.". What is
the difference between the 12178 steps, and the 5.9 x 10^12 steps? I guess
that 12178 steps refers to the case in which we take the axioms of the
complex numbers as "axioms", and 5.9 x 10^12 when we also prove the axioms
of the complex numbers, starting from ZFC. But I am not 100% sure, and I
would like to have confirmation of that.

No, this is not about that. Metamath theorems are able to refer to previous
theorems multiple times, in multiple concrete instantiations. That is, a
theorem is really a "theorem schema" over the assignments to the wff and
class variables. If you wanted to perform the same proof in pure first
order logic, you would have to redo the proof for every choice of those wff
variables. So the statistic here (also calculated by metamath-exe) is
working out an approximation to the (exponential) speedup this
accomplishes, by seeing how many steps would have been taken if you had to
replay each use of each theorem. Effectively, you can think of this as
treating every metamath theorem as a macro which expands to a proof
containing more macro references, and if we macro-expand everything all
that remains are direct references to the axioms. It's easy to get
exponential growth in this process, since theorem 2 can use theorem 1
twice, theorem 3 uses theorem 2 twice and so on. Of course the metamath
library is not quite so pathological as that, but the nature of the process
is still exponential, where the base is related to the density of
converging paths in the DAG of theorem references.

> 3. Is there some way to print/export to file the 12178 steps, and even
the 5.9 x 10^12 steps, all at once? I ask this since running  show
trace_back 2p2e4 /tree gives me a tree, but with only the name of the
subtheorems, not the steps themselves. And I have been unable to find a
command that gives the full number of steps, all at the same time.

As far as I know, no. Both of these numbers are calculated by the
metamath-exe tool, using the command "SHOW TRACE_BACK 2p2e4 /COUNT_STEPS".
Internally, it only creates and manipulates the numbers, it doesn't
actually perform the expansion (which would take exponentially long just to
output). For the former number (12178 steps), an approximation to this is
to just "show proof *" which will print all proofs, or look at the entire
metamath web site on disk, which contains every step of every theorem. The
12178 steps are a subset of those, and you can get metamath-exe to print
out all of the relevant theorems using "show trace_back 2p2e4" alone.

That said, it is certainly possible to calculate the actual 5.9 x 10^12
steps if you are interested in such a programming project. But be aware
that the steps can also get pretty large in the process (I think also
exponential in general). Although I'm sure your terabyte drive has better
things to do...

Mario Carneiro