Consider tcs and cjkvconv at
http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/

Quote:
tcs.zip tcs is the source to an ANSI C program which converts between a variety of
international encoding formats. Of interest, it converts between the various Japanese
encodings, UNICODE 1.0 and UTF-8 (a Variable length, ascii-clean version of Unicode
used under Plan-9 and supported in Java).
tcs_w95.zip is the main program compiled (by Peter de Vries) to run under Windows NT &
95.
Ken Lunde's Perl utility to convert between a myriad of East Asian
codesets, including Unicode.
cjkvconv.inf A little information
cjkvconv.pl The Perl program (with a huge code table included)