On February 9, 2002 at 08:41, "Mike Hamilton" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For me, using TSLICE (and MHonArc v2.5.2) with
>
> <TSLICE>
> 4:4:1
> </TSLICE>
>
> and referring to it with a plain $TSLICE$ results in slices which list the
> *first* of the following messages.
>
> So, if there are six items in the thread, the slice for 1 will show 1 and 2;
> the slice for 2 will show 1,2 and 3, etc., but only the sixth thread will
> have the complete list.

Is this after successive archive updates?

> >From the 2.5.0b docs I gleaned:
> <--->
> Problem: Some messages not updated to show changes in thread slice listing.
> Solution: This is really a limitation on how messages are tagged for update
> and problem may occur explicit range parameters are specified for $TSLICE$
> that differ from default values in TSLICE. Work-around to problem is now
> documented in the TSLICE resource page.
> <--->
> ... but as I'm not specifying explicit range parameters for $TSLICE$ this
> doesn't seem to be relevant.

It should not, but ...

> <--->
> [...] To summarize the note above: Some message pages may not get properly
> updated to reflect changes in $TSLICE$ listing.  This can occur if the
> message is more than one message away from a new message in a thread. I
> consider it not a major problem since the next/prev links still function
> properly.  However, older messages may not properly show the latest slice
> representation, and as the reader goes through the thread, the slice listing
> can appear to grow as they go from older messages to newer messages.
> <--->
> ... which is very close to my experience, except that for me it's not "some
> message pages", "may not", or "can appear" --- it's consistent, and it
> doesn't seem to matter how I juggle the ordering.

Can you provide test data and a scripted scenario (eg. add this
message, then this, then this, add see the results -- maybe
encapsulated in a shell script)?  Please include any resource files and
command-line options you used.

> I would respectfully disagree with "not a major problem".  Consider the

Of course, it is always a matter of perspective.

> situation where a user clicks a message from say the middle of a thread
> index.  On being presented with the message, the slice will not tally with
> what (s)he previously saw.  (S)he thinks that the list is somehow corrupt,
> or the messages have been deleted ; at best it's back to the thread index
> page.

I agree there could be some confusion, but without any real user testing,
we do not know if it matters.  I.e.  There is a dependency on how users
interact with the archive.

> However, I assume it's an error on my part, as others are apparently using
> TSLICE perfectly - e.g. I think this is a MHonArc list :
>
> < http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY/2002-02/1012973479

Note, the site you give looks like they use MHonArc, but there is no
direct indications that it is being used except for similiar page
layout stylistic conventions.  Any MHonArc-type markers in the HTML are
not present and there is no mention of MHonArc on the site.

How do you know MHonArc is being used at archiver.rootsweb.com?

> Any suggestions for what on earth I'm doing wrong?

Not currently.  It is probably a bug.  I will have to do some testing
to see what is going on.  The first step is to have a recreatable
test case so I can use it to help analyze the code.

--ewh