On 24 Apr, Michael McCue wrote:
> I am hosted by a virtual host and I do all site development via a windows
> machine... is there a .zip archive of midgard that I can download and look
> at locally before uploading to my server?

Sorry, since Midgard is at the moment available only
for UNIX platforms, we distribute it only as tarballs
or platform-specific binary packages.

If you only want to look at the sources, WinZip should
be able to handle the .tar.gz compression.

You can also read the sources via a Web interface at
http://www.midgard-project.org/cvsweb.pl

There is a Windows port of Midgard under work by
the Open Server Architecture project. See their page
at http://www.opensa.org/midgard for more information.

> Also, I am looking to host information in thousands of MySQL records,
> spanned across several tables, ex : Movie titles, with the descriptions,
> screen shots (in another table using a primary key from the movies table),
> reviews (in another table, again using a primary key from the movie title).
> The movie titles would be broken up into several "groups" such as beta, vhs,
> and dvd... I would need users to be able to search all these records, as
> well as get to the individual record/information by a top down selection
> process... would it be too difficult to get into midgard to do this ?
> Currently my site is being built under php...

Well, since Midgard contains PHP you can keep the
current code there and access the database with it, and
still benefit from Midgard's style handling, etc.

However, Midgard should be able to do the job, especially
with the record extension system currently being worked
on for Midgard 1.4-beta4. It will require some PHP coding,
though.

> Last question, how does midgard compare to Zope?  Are they of the same idea?

They are pretty much different in both usage and architecture.

You can find some information on the differences by reading
some of the various discussions on the topic available online:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/Midgard/
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=midgard&m=95372424006580&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=midgard&m=95372395706400&w=2
http://www.midgard-project.org/manual/faq.other.html#FAQ.OTHER.ZOPE

> And does midgard manage users in the way I'm thinking... such as creating a
> registry, users log on and log off of services ?

Users have permissions based on their memberships to
different groups. They can log on and off between
sites as needed.

> Mike

/Bergie

--
-- Henri Bergius -- +358 40 525 1334 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --
               http://www.iki.fi/Henri.Bergius