Hi folks,

On 24.08.00 (11:00), Jean-Philippe Brunon wrote:

>   Step 1. : Finding the www.midgard-project.org site.
>
>     A. OpenSource Languages/tools "standards":
>     B. OpenSource products directories:
>     C. Search engines:
>     D. OpenSource news sites
(...)

One category of referers that would by very helpful for
promotion is simply content -- articles, tutorials, coding
examples etc. for Midgard on often visited web technology sites
such as devshed, webmonkey, whatever.

>   Step 2. : Once on the Midgard site, the potential user must:
>
>     A. Quickly understand what Midgard really is (the summaries or
> articles the user can read during step 1. are very important too) and
> how it can help him/her.
>
>     B. Quickly access links to important information from the home page:
>     - Download last stable version, last Beta version, current CVS
> version. Actually, it's really hard to find other versions than 1.2.5,
> and obviously 1.2.5 is the only one which is heavily downloaded by
> people who are not "in the secret".

I'd like to additionally stress the point of finding the betas
and their release notes etc. -- I imagine there must be a lot of
people like me, who need new features and know enough about
Linux and Midgard to work with betas even in production
environments but hesitate to download CVS snapshots.

>     - Mailing lists (it's hard to find mailing lists now, I guess many
> people do not use/subscribe to Midgard mailing lists just because they
> cannot spend time to find it).
>     - Current online documentation.
>
>     Ron is currently improving the whole Step 2.

Does that mean that Ron is finishing the job of relaunching
http://www.midgard-project.org, as begun by Henri?  Is the
development site still http://bergie.greywolves.org:8081/ or so?

>   Step 3. : Easy to install
>
>     An installation script has been written to install Midgard in one
> step. A "Plug and Play" installation is effective once there is no more
> patch of the PHP parser, so it's possible to have Midgard coexisting
> with already installed PHP3 or PHP4.
>

>   Step 4. : Easy to create simple site
>
>     New Asgard admin site and a good documentation/tutorial will help
> users jump this last hurdle which will convert them to "an happy Midgard
> user".

Steps 3 and 4 especially suffer under the current state of
online documentation, but I suppose that's one of the issues
that are already being dealt with.

     phr
--
Linksystem Muenchen GmbH                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Schloerstrasse 10                           http://www.link-m.de