I'm confused as to why I need iBGP in order to maintain traffic outside
of my network. Is iBGP able to make changes to my eBGP peering sessions
that would be helpful to my cause? Or are you just saying I should be
running iBGP internally to make things less messy in general?

It is possible it is going over my head. Would you be able call me and
explain?