On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 10:13:18PM +0100, Sandro Mani wrote:
> Hi
>
> Following recent discussions and to reduce the maintenance burden, I'm
> planning to start merging native and mingw packages. Initially, I'll be
> looking at these packages where I maintain both variants:

I've done the same with all the mingw packages I maintained just
before Fedora 37 branched. So the following native packages now
just contain mingw sub-RPMs:

 libvirt, libvirt-glib, libosinfo, osinfo-db, osinfo-db-tools, gtk-vnc

I'm so happy to have reduced this maint burden. I see a few new mingw
packages pending in package review and think it'd be nice to first ask
the native maintainer to consider unified package, before we approve
any new separate mingw packages.

Our Mingw packaging guidelines, however, exclusively describe fully
separated mingw packages.  So if I suggest this to a native package
maintainer who is not already familiar with mingw, they would be
right to question whether this is a desirable thing.

IOW, I think we need to look at getting the mingw packaging docs
updated to promote unified packaging as an officially supported
(and even preferred) option, alongside separate packaging.

With regards,
Daniel