> Andreas:
>
> Thank you.  I think the break was an email thing, in the file it is all
> listed on one line.  If you can imagine I can use the line in rc.local
> while I'm logged in ssh (root) and it works fine.  Just not so fine in
> rc.local.
>
> Could it be running and not show up with ps -al?

<snip>
> > OBSD3.7
> >
> > I am trying to start snort from rc.local with this entry
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/local/bin/snort ]; then
> >         echo -n ' starting snort...'
> >         /usr/local/bin/snort -u sguil -g sguil -l /nsm/em0 -c
> > /etc/snort/em0.snort.conf -U -A none -m 122 -i em0 -D
<snip>

Okay, in order to test if it works just try to connect to squid after a boot ;)

... Just found your mistake :)

try
"ps -axl"

man 1 ps

<man>
-x      Display information about processes without controlling terminals.
</man>

I hope that helps because I suspect that because it is started from a rc Script
it can't have a "controlling terminal"

bye,
ahb