On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 03:04:25PM +0100, Pete Vickers wrote:
> Now that the IPv4 address space if fully allocated, perhaps it's time to
> update the comments in /etc/hosts ? Here is my attempt at a reasonably concise
> update:
>
> # Assignments from RFC5735 (supersedes RFC1918)
> #
> # Allocated for use as the Internet host loopback address:
> #   127.0.0.0/8
> #
> # Allocated for communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain
> # these addresses by auto-configuration (in the absence of DHCP):
> #   169.254.0.0/16
> #
> # Addresses within these blocks do not legitimately appear on the public
> Internet
> # and can be used without any coordination with IANA or an Internet registry:
> #   10.0.0.0/8      private networks
> #   172.16.0.0/12   private networks
> #   192.168.0.0/16  private networks
> #   192.0.2.0/24    documentation/examples
> #   198.51.100.0/24 documentation/examples
> #   203.0.113.0/24  documentation/examples
> #   198.18.0.0/15   benchmark interconnect testing
> #
> # Full assignments details are available here:
> # http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.txt
> #
>

> More contentiously, this is an IPv6 counterpart:

> Note that I interpret the aim of these comments as an aide-memoire, rather
> than a tutorial on IP addressing schemes, so it's intentionally brief.

I think your IPv4 text unwisely suggests that using e.g. 192.0.2.0/24
for your own stuff is okay. That's true only until you put a device with
an appropriate list of "unroutable IPs" on your network, etc.

Also, if you're going to be exhaustive, you missed at least multicast.

Why do you feel this is useful?

                Joachim

--
PotD: net/powerdns,-mysql - mysql database access module for powerdns
http://www.joachimschipper.nl/