On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:49:01PM +0100, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
> OK. Anyway NIC buffers restrict buffered packets number. But the problem
> remain: why a (for exemple) dual Xeon E5520@2.27GHz with Intel PRO/1000
> (82576) can't route 150kpps without Ierr :-)
> http://www.oxymium.net/tmp/core3-dmesg

Turn off hyperthreading, run a uniprocessor kernel rather than bsd.mp.
I can't immediately tell if you're running i386 or amd64, but i386 will
probably be better.

There may be something else going on here, because 150kpps should be
trivial for a box like this, but the advice above will certainly improve
your situation.

(Yes, it will hurt to know that 7 of your cores are doing nothing. Too
bad, they're just slowing you down now)