On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:18:32PM +0000, Tom Murphy wrote:
>   I had a pair of Dell PowerEdge R200s that have both em(4) and bge(4)s
> in them, however, it's the em(4) doing the heavy lifting. Roughly 30-40
> megabits/s sustained and doing anywhere between 3000-4000 packets/s.
>
>   On OpenBSD 4.4, it happily forwards packets along. I upgraded one of
> the firewalls to 4.8 and switched CARP over to it (yes, I know the
> redundancy is broken anyway now.) and it couldn't seem to handle the
> traffic. Any inbound connections would stall and I have no idea why.

I assume that you don't have the 'defer' option set on your pfsync
interface (it would be broken until you upgrade both firewalls)

>   There were no net.inet.ip.ifq.drops, but I noticed 10 livelocks when
> running systat mbufs (on em0).

I think in 4.8 systat mbufs is showing the total number of livelocks
ever, and 10 is a tiny number. On a system nearing it's limit you could
expect the livelocks counter to get hit a few times a second, but if
it's getting hit 50 times per second you're way over capacity.

Note you can also look at 'sysctl kern.netlivelocks' which is a little
less ambiguous, and shows the total number of livelocks since boot.

> Could MCLGETI be hindering performance?

I'm doing a lot of testing in this area these days on a broad range of
hardware, and I have yet to find a case where MCLGETI does not improve
a system's ability to handle load. If anything MCLGETI needs to be more
aggressive, and we're looking at ways to do that.

-Ryan