On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 05:33:01PM +0200, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
> >> CA's cannot be trusted to even pay attention to carefully securing
> >> your certificate. B Here in the US, the government can simply ask
> >> for your certificate and get it ( and possibly even use it to
> >> impersonate you)
> > The problem is not really whether there is a trust relationship
> > between your CA provider and you, it's whether at least *one* CA is
> > laxist enough that they give out certificates without thorough
> > checking.  Even with your self-signed approach, somebody could get a
> > CA to issue a certificate that their key is good for your website,
> > and impersonate it to any of your new-coming customers who haven't
> > been exposed to your official key yet.
> There is a project (which I'm contributing to so take this with a
> grain of salt) -- Perspectives http://www.networknotary.org/ -- that
> is trying to solve this problem: how to detect a MITM attack or a
> "rogue" CA.
>
> The idea is quite simple: provide a Firefox (and in short time a
> Chrome) plug-in that contacts a series of "trusted" (see below) notary
> servers that give back their SSL certificate finger-print
> "observations". If the browser's observed SSL certificate "matches"
> the ones provided by the notaries -- with a sensible time frame --
> that everything is Ok (there could be false positives though). If not
> it triggers an alarm (which could be a false negative). Therefore this
> works with all kind of certificates -- self-signed, trusted CA's or
> untrusted CA's. (In fact the notaries are able to "observe" both SSH
> or arbitrary TLS/SSL based services certificates.)
>
> The trust moves from the CA to a set of peer-to-peer, geographically
> distributed, independently run, notary servers (with a quorum
> decision). (But like in the case of Tor (or other peer-to-peer
> security systems) you could be in trouble if someone is able to take
> over a great deal of the nodes.)
>
> Also because this is more for MITM attacks, rogue CA's can be detected
> only if the "government" isn't able to redirect all traffic to the
> rogue server for a large time frame. (Thus for example if government X
> is able to impersonate the server only in region X, but not in other
> regions, notaries in those others regions will signal the possible
> rogue CA / servers.)

This is an interesting approach, I'll see if I can do something with it
(;

However, it also reminds me a lot of MonkeySphere [0], which leverages
the PGP WoT, and allow host keys (SSH, SSL) to be signed with the
admin's PGP key. This also has the effect of decentralising the key
management.

However, I suspect there is a risk of false positive/negative, and I'm
not sur which one is the worst. I think this is definitely the problem
of those decentralised approaches.

Note that somebody paying a CA to issue a false certificate would be a
false positive anyway...

[0] http://web.monkeysphere.info/

--
Olivier Mehani <sht...@ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655