On 31 October 2011 10:41, Constantine A. Murenin <muren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 October 2011 02:39, Dmitry Tigrov <ti...@darkstar.spb.ru> wrote:
> > Russia has cancelled the move to DST for 2011.
> > Is cancellation DST for Russia added to 5.0 version? Is any patch to
> > cancellation for 4.9 version?
>

> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/share/zoneinfo/datfiles/europe#rev1.42
>
> A total mess, if you ask me.  Whilst the DST riddance (or, well, a
> permanent DST) is a welcome move, the way in which it is done is quite
> absurd.  And due to the momentum, and, perhaps, the implicit
> inconvenience to the neighbour states, Belarus and Ukraine also
> decided to abandon DST, even giving a correspondingly shorter notice!
> Blah.

AFAIK, ICANN now look after this, and I believe are going to fight any
legal qualms. Given ICANN has some mone in it's coffers for  this sort
thing it is probably for the 'better' in the long run.

http://www.iana.org/time-zones

NZ a couple of years ago changed the DST boundaries as well - due to
political micro-management.

Agreed it is a giant PITA. -

What happened to internet 'beats'? I quite liked 500 points in the day and
being able to use decimal, I even had a phone with beats on it at one point.

-JoelW